We know that the best way to effect change is to start from within and we recognize that fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace is a journey of education, awareness, growth, demonstrated empathy, and practiced inclusion.
To our communities, stakeholders, and investors:
Following the murder of George Floyd, our Executive Team and I reflected carefully on how best to support our employees, their families, and the communities where we operate. On June 8th we released a video message to all Berry employees to express our support for those fighting for a more equitable and just society, to reaffirm Berry’s commitment to inclusion and diversity, and to state unequivocally that there is absolutely no room in our company for hate, intolerance, discrimination, prejudice, or harassment of any kind, whether obvious or covert, conscious, or unconscious. As an employer and community leader, we cannot tolerate these behaviors and none of us can stand by quietly if we observe them.
At that time, we also announced new, company-wide initiatives including enhanced inclusion and diversity training, an employee survey on the Berry work environment, and a full review of our workplace policies and practices. With respect to the employee survey, it was critically important for us as an organization to hear from our employees – understanding their feedback, experiences, and needs is critical to ensuring that we foster a safe, supportive, and equitable work environment that values and supports diversity and inclusion.
In response to results of the employee survey, I am pleased to announce that we will be taking additional actions to enhance inclusion and diversity within Berry:
- Enhancing the HR team with an Organization Development and Training Manager
- Communicating definitions of diversity and inclusion in visible places throughout the workplace
- Providing diversity and inclusion training for all employees
- Sourcing external diversity and inclusion training for managers
- Offering more transparency in recruiting efforts
- Committing to a community outreach program day focused on fostering diversity and cultural awareness
- Giving financial support to organizations focused on justice and equality, including the Equal Justice Initiative and the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Continuing to listen and seek feedback and input
As we take these next steps, we want to assure our employees, our communities, and our stakeholders that we are committed to creating an environment where every individual is empowered to be fully themselves, we will strive to create policies, practices, and programs that promote diversity and inclusion, and we will hold ourselves accountable when we hear or see things that do not align with our values and the commitments we have made.
We know that the best way to effect change is to start from within and we recognize that fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace is a journey of education, awareness, growth, demonstrated empathy, and practiced inclusion. Finally, we appreciate fully that our success on this journey will require on-going commitment, both corporately and individually, and a willingness to reflect and change. We hope you will join us on this journey, and we look forward to working with you toward a more equitable future.
Trem Smith, President & CEO